Smart Benefits: Communicating the Benefits of Benefits
Monday, March 04, 2019
Rob Calise, GoLocalProv Business/Health Expert
The cost to employers to provide health insurance for their workers continues to climb each year. And to make sure employees are maximizing the value of the benefits, engagement is key. That means instead of a one-and-done approach focused only on open enrollment, companies should share plan details year-round, especially because employees’ needs can change, prompting them to need benefits they may have not used previously.
Here’s what a 12-month communication outreach should address to educate staff about how to best use their plans:
- Network information and how to identify a provider that participates
- Out-of-pocket and deductible costs and limits, including where to check for their progress towards maximums
- The claims process and how to seek resolution for issues that may arise
- How to initiate changes to coverage based on life events like marriage or the birth of a child
- Ways to take advantage of savings opportunities like wellness program premium credits, gym discounts and more
And remember to use various formats to reach different groups of employees, including digital information, printed materials, and live presentations.
Rob Calise is the Managing Director, Employee Benefits of The Hilb Group of New England, where he helps clients control the costs of employee benefits by focusing on consumer-driven strategies and on how to best utilize the tax savings tools the government provides. Rob serves as Chairman of the Board of United Benefit Advisors, and is a board member of the Blue Cross & Blue Shield of RI Broker Advisory Board, United HealthCare of New England Broker Advisory Board and Rhode Island Business Healthcare Advisors Council. He is also a member of the National Association of Health Underwriters (NAHU), American Health Insurance Association (AHIA) and the Employers Council on Flexible Compensation (ECFC), as well as various human resource associations. Rob is a graduate of Bryant University with a BS in Finance