Worcester Art Museum to Host Annual Fall Community Day
Saturday, October 06, 2018
GoLocalWorcester Lifestyle Team
The Worcester Art Museum is set to host their annual Fall Community Day with the theme of “Diwali: Festival of Lights.”
Fall Community Day will take place on Saturday, November 3 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
“In a feast for the senses, the Museum will be filled with sights, smells, and sounds of India during this full day of programming and special performances,” said the Worcester Art Museum in their press release.
Activities and programs include:
- Indian Dress Try-ons: Get a close-up view of the luminance and color of India’s traditional garments and learn how to drape a Sari. Presented by India Society of Worcester.
- Mehndi: See how a mehndi artist works and receive henna of your own. The art of mehndi has been a long-standing tradition stemming from many ancient cultures but is mostly known today for its history and prevalence in India.
- Hands-on Activities: Make paper marigolds, Diwali door hangings, and Madhubani art coasters to bring home
- Music and Dance: The India Society of Worcester presents a full line-up of traditional, modern, and contemporary Indian performances in the Museum’s grand Renaissance Court.
- Food: Traditional Indian food will be available for purchase. (Please note the Museum Café will not be open on this day due to the Community Day activities.)
- Gallery Tours: 10:30 a.m. – Family Tour; 12 noon—Zip Tour: "The Genius of Louis Tiffany and John LaFarge" (in the Radiance Rediscovered exhibition); 2 p.m. – Tour of the Month: The Art of India and Iran
- Related Exhibition: This year’s Fall Community Day coincides with the special exhibition, Preserved Pages: Book as Art in Persian and India, 1300-1800.