49 Killed in Mass Multi-Mosque Shooting in Christchurch, NZ, Shooter Livestreamed Massacre
Friday, March 15, 2019
GoLocalWorcester News Team
Forty-nine people were killed in shootings at two mosques in central Christchurch, New Zealand, on Friday during Muslim prayer.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described as “an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence.”
According to the publication The Stuff in Christchurch New Zealand, the facts are as of 4:00 AM EST:
* A gunman walked into a mosque on Deans Ave, Christchurch carrying a semi-automatic weapon and opened fire
* A second shooting occurred at a mosque in Linwood
* At least 49 people were dead as of 9 pm
* A man in his late 20s has been charged with murder and will appear in Christchurch District Court tomorrow.
* Stuff believes the shooter to be Australian-born Brenton Tarrant.
* The shooter livestreamed the video of the attack
* Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the shooting was a terrorist attack.
* This is the deadliest mass shooting on record in New Zealand
* Witnesses have described the horror of their "brothers" being attacked
The Stuff reports, "Several bodies can be seen in the video. The man continues to fire at the people as they lie on the ground. He then exits the mosque running back to his car firing at people on the street before taking another gun out of the boot of his car and running back to the mosque and firing through the front entrance. He then re-enters the mosque, again shooting at people lying on the ground from close range as he walks around a room." The shooting took less than 20 minutes.