Man Arrested After Breaking Into Worcester Home

Friday, October 05, 2018
GoLocalWorcester News Team

A man was arrested after breaking into a home in the area of Heywood Street on Wednesday morning.

Christopher Durham, 24, charged with assault and battery on a police officer, trespassing, breaking and entering in the daytime with the intent to commit a felony, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace.

The Incident

On Wednesday, October 3, at approximately 11:00 a.m., Worcester Police responded to a Heywood Street address for a report of a breaking and entering in progress. Responding officers were told that a white man, wearing blue jeans and a black and grey hooded sweatshirt had just broken into his home and ran off on Heywood Street, last seen heading towards Houghton Street.

One of the responding officers made contact with a male that fit the description of the suspect. The man was stopped in the area of 88 Heywood Street. The man was identified as Durham of 51 Harlem Street.

Several officers arrived at the location of the apprehension. At this time the initial responding officer went to the initial address in question and spoke with the homeowner/victim. The officer met with the 74-year-old male victim. The officer was told by the victim that he was in his first-floor apartment when he heard footsteps coming from the second-floor apartment. The victim is the owner and has not rented out the second-floor apartment; therefore no one should be walking around in the apartment.

The victim went to see who was in his apartment. The victim began to walk up the rear stairs when an unknown male poked his head over the railing. The victim asked what he was doing inside his property but received a nonsensical reply. The suspect was escorted out the rear door and ran off. The layout to this structure provided no rear access to the second floor. In order to gain access, a person has to climb up and onto the porch.

Meanwhile, the officer was transporting the victim to the location of where Durham was stopped. Prior to the victim’s arrival, Durham pushed one of the officer’s hands away and began to run away. Officers immediately gave chase and quickly apprehended him. The victim eventually arrived at the scene and positively identified Durham as the male seen in his building.

Durham was placed under arrest.


Stay Connected — Free
Daily Email