Man Arrested After Threatening Worcester Police Officer With Knife

Tuesday, January 01, 2019
GoLocalWorcester News Team

A Lowell man was arrested after threatening Worcester police officers with a knife on Thursday morning.

Kevin Kostiew, 27, charged with 3 counts of assault with a dangerous weapon on a police officer, resisting arrest, assault and battery on a police officer, and his outstanding warrants.

The Incident

On the morning of Thursday, December 27, Worcester Police officers were attempting to locate Kostiew who had several outstanding warrants for serious offenses.

Officers went to various locations to try to locate Kostiew, before eventually finding him on Gilman St. When officers entered a residence to apprehend Kostiew, he ran out the second-floor window in an attempt to evade the officers.

The officers tried to pull him back into the apartment, but Kostiew pushed them away and jumped from the window and began to run away. Kostiew had a large, clearly visible knife in his back pocket.

Officers who were on the ground level when Kostiew jumped began to pursue him. He reached for his knife, and one of the officers used his Taser. Kostiew continued to run away. After a brief foot pursuit, Kostiew appeared to be exhausted. He stopped running and faced the officers, brandishing the knife at them and warning them not to come any closer.

One of the K-9 officers on scene warned Kostiew that the canine would assist in his apprehension if he did not put the knife down and get on the ground. A second officer deployed his Taser, and Kostiew continued to hold the knife out and threaten the officers. Finally, a third Taser strike causedKostiew to fall to the ground, where he continued to hold his knife. The canine and officers went toward Kostiew and were able to remove the knife from his hand. Kostiew continued to fight with the officers, kicking them and flailing around.

He was placed in handcuffs, placed under arrest, and medically evaluated.

Delivered Free Every
Day to Your Inbox