Man Arrested Following Suspicious Death of Family Member in Worcester

Monday, January 01, 2018
GoLocalWorcester News Team

A man has been arrested in connection with the suspicious death of a family member.

The woman, 56, was found dead inside a Bailey Street home at 11:30 p.m. on Saturday, December 30.

The man, 26, was arrested outside the Dunkin’ Donuts located on Chandler Street. He was charged with aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous qeapon and domestic assault and battery.

The exact cause of death is pending the results of a post mortem examination. Additional charges may follow as the investigation moves forward.

Due to the current domestic laws, the name of the suspect and victim can not be released at this time.

The suspect will be arraigned on Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at the Worcester County District Courthouse.

There is no additional information available at this time.

The Incident

On Saturday, December 30,  at approximately 11:30 p.m., Worcester Police responded to a Bailey Street home for a check on the welfare call. Responding officers were told that the caller had received information indicating that a 56-year-old woman may have been harmed.

The caller further stated that the woman may have been harmed by a family member and that the person was no longer at the home but was at the Dunkin’ Donuts located at 211 Chandler Street. Arriving officers knocked on the door but received no answer. Officers then attempted to look into the first floor windows but could not see anything. Officers then discovered that the front door was unlocked. Due to the nature of the call the officers announced their presence and entered the home. A quick search located a deceased 56-year-old woman. It appeared to the officers that death was caused by direct trauma. Officers secured the scene and called for detectives.

Meanwhile, several officers responded to 211 Chandler Street and located a 26-year-old man standing outside of Dunkin Donuts. The man was identified as a close relative to the victim. After a brief conversation the male was transported to police headquarters for questioning.

WPD detectives and members of the Crime Scene Unit responded to the home. Investigators obtained a search warrant for the premises. Members of the Crime Scene Unit processed evidence within the home.

Investigators spoke with the man along with other family members at headquarters.

Based on information that was obtained during the conversations, as well as evidence obtained at this point in the investigation, the man was placed under arrest.


Stay Connected — Free
Daily Email