Worcester Man Arrested for Robbery & Assault With a Knife

Tuesday, July 31, 2018
GoLocalWorcester News Team

A Worcester man was arrested in the area of Beacon Street after robbing someone and then threatening a group of people with a knife.

Angelomar Melendez-Sterling is charged with unarmed robbery, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (tool), assault with a dangerous weapon (knife), disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, and resisting arrest.

The Incident

On July 26 at about 1:30 p.m., Worcester Police were dispatched to the area of 32 Southbridge St for a report of an assault and battery. As the officers arrived, he saw people jumping up and down and yelling, “He went that way up Beacon St!” The officer turned on to Beacon St and saw a male, later identified as Melendez-Sterling, 20, of 12 Tirrell St, who matched the description of the suspect.

The officer asked to speak with Melendez-Sterling, who started saying “Why are you stopping me?” before breaking into a full sprint toward Charlton St. The officer chased Melendez-Sterling, who crossed busy streets during the foot pursuit, causing multiple cars to slam on their breaks to avoid accidents. The officer eventually caught up with Melendez-Sterling on Hermon St, where Melendez-Sterling was taken to the ground. The officer attempted to handcuff Melendez-Sterling, who continued to thrash and fight. At one point, Melendez-Sterling got back on his feet and rammed his shoulder into the officer, who was able to take him down again and take him into custody.

Another officer spoke with witnesses on Main St. Officers were told that Melendez-Sterling saw someone with a $20 in her hand. Melendez-Sterling went up to the woman, forcibly grabbed the money out of her hand, and ran away. Witnesses followed him and demanded that he return the money.

He responded by taking out a metal object, which appeared to be some sort of multi-tool, and punched the female victim in the neck with it, causing a puncture wound. As a man approached him, Melendez-Sterling took out a knife and threatened the man with it.

Shortly afterward, the officer was flagged down.


Stay Connected — Free
Daily Email